ZVOX Audio Z-Base 555 Single Cabinet Sound System
Low-Profile Single-Cabinet Surround Sound System
- Improved Sound
- Green Design
- Super-Clear Vocals
- "Commercial Taming" Technology
- Multiple Inputs Including Front-Panel iPod®/Portable Plug
- Works With Your Remote!
Only 3.5" high, the ZVOX Z-Base 555 home theater system can be placed beneath your flat-panel TV* -- so you can have surround sound without adding a lot of clutter to your room. It requires no external speakers, subwoofer or speaker wires. The 555 reproduces TV shows, music and movie soundtracks with lifelike accuracy – including crystal-clear vocals and thunderous bass. And ZVOX PhaseCue® II virtual surround processing delivers remarkable three-dimensional sound. The entire system – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround technology and powered subwoofer – fits into the super-slim cabinet. With only one connecting cord and a one-page owner’s manual, it is truly "plug and play." The wood cabinet is robustly constructed using fully-braced MDF -- not molded plastic. Beautiful hand-lacquered high-gloss ebony end panels create a stylish look.
Great Sound. The most important feature for any home theater system is high quality sound. The 555 uses a new amplifier design with extremely accurate frequency response and a warm, natural sound and surprisingly powerful bass.
PhaseCue® II Virtual Surround Sound. The 555 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage - it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelop you, putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system - including ours - will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 555 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue processing "remarkably ingenious."
Green Design. The 555 uses a highly-efficient Class D digital amplifier. Even playing at quite loud volumes, it usually uses less than 10 watts of total power. And standby power usage tends to hover around 0.1 watts - making it one of the "greenest" audio systems ever made.
Setting A New Standard For Vocal Clarity. ZVOX systems are known for their remarkable vocal clarity. The 555 adds a stunning new feature: Dialog Emphasis (DE). When you push the "DE" button on the remote control you engage a circuit that mimics the functions of a hearing aid. The frequencies used by human voices are dynamically emphasized, while other frequencies are minimized. We don't know of any other speaker system that provides such an easy-to-use and effective method for improving the intelligibility of television dialog.
Uses Your Remote Control. The new Z-Base system can be programmed to respond to your remote control. The illuminated display walks you through a less-than-a-minute programming cycle. Then your TV remote...or cable box remote...or satellite receiver remote...or ANY remote...can control volume, mute, power and input functions of the ZVOX system.The 555 uses a highly advanced processor to digitally tailor the sound for excellent frequency response. The result is a very smooth, very accurate sound. This Z-Base system doesn't sound like a "sound bar," it sounds like an audiophile quality speaker system.
Taming Commercials That Are Too Loud. If you've ever been blasted out of your chair by a too-loud commercial - or by a cable channel that's twice as loud as another channel - you'll love the new Output Leveling (OL) feature on the ZVOX 555. Just push the OL button and a sophisticated processor takes over, making soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer, so there are fewer jarring moments when switching channels or when commercials come on. This system also helps by boosting the audio levels from a DVD or Blu Ray player that is not loud enough.
Disappearing Display. The 555 features a four-digit display located behind the speaker grille that shows the current setting for volume, bass, treble and PhaseCue II® (virtual surround) - and also shows when you have engaged the Mute, Output Leveling (OL) or Dialog Emphasis (DE) features. A few seconds after you stop using your remote (or front panel) controls, the display disappears completely.
Multiple Inputs, front-panel connection for iPod® and other devices, Dolby Digital decoder.The 555 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille. The two digital inputs work with a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, which can improve virtual surround performance and allow for simplified connections to a wide variety of TVs, cable boxes and disc players.
Wood (MDF) Cabinet With Hand-Lacquered Side Panels. The 555 features a hand-built cabinet of heavy MDF with beautiful hand-lacquered high-gloss end panels. Its low-profile design blends perfectly with flat-panel TVs. Most people don’t even notice the ZVOX 555...until they hear it.
ZVOX Audio has recently learned that some "stand-alone" powered subwoofer models are incompatible with the subwoofer output provided on the Z-Base 555 and 580 models. These subwoofers require a stronger signal than the level available from the subwoofer output on the ZVOX Audio system. The available signal level from the subwoofer output on the ZVOX Audio systems can not be increased. For the time being, unless using a product that has been pre-tested and is known to be compatible, a prospective customer for a ZVOX Audio 555 or 580 should assume that it is not compatible with an external powered subwoofer. Please note that most people are perfectly satisfied with the level of bass produced by the subwoofers already built into these two models -- and thus do not feel the need for an additional, external subwoofer.
Click each benefit for more details
It’s Compact (Read More)
The Z-Base 555 is only 28” wide by 14.5” deep by 3 3/8” high (cabinet is 2.75" but stands on 5/8" high plinth base.) Everything is inside this compact cabinet – speakers, amplifier, virtual surround circuitry and powered subwoofer.
Simple Installation (Read More)
The 555 requires only one connecting cord -- you can use either analog or digital connection options. Connect the one cord and you're done. You can place the 555 directly beneath most 26" - 50" flat panel TVs*, or on a shelf beneath the TV. * TV base should not exceed 27" in width or 13" in depth. TV should not exceed 110 pounds in weight. Safety instructions in Z-Base 555 Operating Instructions and in TV's Operating Instructions should be closely examined and followed.
Simple To Use (Read More)
In about one minute you can follow a simple routine that will "teach" the ZVOX 555 to respond to the commands of your TV or cable/satellite remote control. So you can adjust control volume, mute, input and power with your remote, not ours. When you've finished the routine, turning on your TV will automatically turn on the ZVOX system. About three minutes after you turn off your TV, the ZVOX system will automatically go into standby mode.
Virtual Surround Sound (Read More)
The 555 uses ZVOX’s proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround processing to give you rich, three-dimensional sound with movies or music. With music, PhaseCue II creates a very wide soundstage – it literally sounds like you are listening to speakers eight feet apart from each other. When listening to a good movie, the soundtrack will envelope you – putting you in the middle of the action. While no virtual surround system – including ours – will give you the surround effects of a good 5.1 system, the ZVOX 555 does a remarkable job. Sound & Vision magazine calls our PhaseCue system “remarkably ingenious.”
No Skimping On Speaker Quality (Read More)
Most audio systems in our price category use very cheap speakers in plastic cabinets. But at ZVOX we’re “old school” about things like this. We use nothing but high quality speaker drivers, carefully designed by ZVOX engineers and manufactured to our specification. The 555 uses specially treated long-excursion main drivers. The cabinet is MDF (medium density fiberboard), the same material uses in most high-end loudspeakers.
Editorial Accolades (Read More)
Here's what the critics say about ZVOX sound systems:
"An audiophile quality system." - Stereophile
"An awesome system...remarkably ingenious." - Sound + Vision
"Creates a sonic dance." - The New York Times
"Bigger audio dynamite." - The Wall Street Journal
"Best Buy." - Consumers Digest
"Best audio product of the year." - CNET
"Knockout sound." - MSNBC
"A single box powerhouse." - Men's Journal
"Home theater product of the year." - About.com
"Impressive sound without the clutter." - TV Guide
Technical Details (Read More)
- Dimensions: 28"W x 14 1/2"D x 3 3/8"H
- Weight: 20 pounds. With box and packing: 23 pounds.
- Amplifier: The 555 uses a high-efficiency 70 watt Class D digital amplifier.
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 45 Hz - 20 kHz.
- Virtual surround sound: The 555 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material. Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound – pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems – including the PhaseCue II system – are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue II is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
- The 555 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response.
- The 555's 5.25" subwoofer uses a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure.
- The 555's five 2" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
- Unlike most systems in its category, the 555 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- A 2-meter RCA-RCA analog stereo connecting cord is included.
- Works only with 110-120 volt power systems.
- The ZVOX 555 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.
What's In The Box? (Read More)
- One stereo RCA to stereo RCA connecting cable
- One remote control with power on/off, volume up/down, mute, PhaseCue II (three level settings), bass up/down and treble up/down, input selection, Output Leveling (OL), Dialog Emphasis (DE).
- Power cord
- One-sheet safety instructions and operations manual, fast setup sheet and remote control programming instruction sheet.
The ZVOX 30-Day Home Audition
Every ZVOX purchase is backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee. Try the system in your home — with your movies and music. If you don't love it, return it.
Write an online review and share your thoughts!
Avg. Customer Review:
Number Of Reviews: